Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Cure for Autism

Ah! First, I want to apologize for lack of postage. Life got busy...sorry, lame excuse, but that's what happened.

Anyhow - one of my friends, her mother and I were discussing how they're trying to get a cure for autism. (I can't recall how we began talking about this, but it occupied the better part of our conversation.) Her mum wanted to know what I thought of this, as I was diagnosed with Asperger's disorder. (My Asperger's used to be more easily seen when I was a kid; I have of late learned how to "hide" it.) Well, here's what I thought of it: I'm pretty sure you can't cure autism in someone who's already got it (I'm kind of an exception, not the least of reason being because I'm not even totally sure I've even got the disorder). However, I think I would be glad if they came up with something that prevented all future births of people with it.

Then again...I guess we appreciate autism, maybe we even need it. But then, what about severe autistics, the ones who can't barely function? I'd love to cure them of their autism, if only there were a way. That's what it all comes down to. But I really wouldn't mind if they found a future prevention. Say, if pregnant women could take a thing that would prevent their baby from having autism. (I don't know if that's possible, it just made sense to me.)

And then I suddenly realised something. We were talking about "spreading the autism gene", if you know what I mean, and I suddenly realised why I don't like guys. I thought there could have been another reason (which was scaring me there and back again), but then I realised why I don't let myself like guys. Liking a guy is the first step towards falling in love with him. And when you fall in love with a guy (or girl if you're a guy), you want to get married. And when you're married, you have children. When you have children, you pass on your genes to them. This means my children, if I had them, might have autism. And I've heard that the children of those with mild autism or something often have a more severe form of it. So that's why I don't let myself like guys. If you read Warriors, you'll know what I mean when I say: I'm a medicine cat and I can't have kits. It's hard, but it's okay for me. I had a good cry about it last night, but now I can let it be.

No comments: